It’s been almost 10 days since I have updated any blog post. The team have been busy trying to upgrade the system from the restricted wordpress.com to the more flexible Siteground hosting powered by wordpress. It’s been a steep learning curve with plenty of support from the honest engineering team that we are migrated to siteground. The website is now faster and more flexible with the vast amount of themes and plugins to help power the blog to the next level. Now I can choose the specific plugins and not tied down to jetpack only.
I must say that premium wordpress.com blog hosting is amazing for the last 8 months. The happy engineers never fail to provide me an answer or solution. I was tempted to go business wordpress but doesn’t justify the £25 a month and still only tied down to a limited few plugins. It was more affordable on siteground with a three years contract at under £5 a month being migrated to siteground. Another key thing was to choose Siteground over Bluehost.
Also picked the wrong time to migrate where we are experiencing the long awaited correction for the last 2 years. Dow Jones down from 26000 to below 2300 points. Trying to juggle between my portfolio and site migration without updates on blog for last 2 weeks.
Pros and Cons on Self Hosting Website
- Steep Learning Curve for non experience coding blogger
- Jargons overwhelming (DNS, static versus blog, hosts.cx)
- premium plugins are additional cost! No warning!
- Even premium level themes can cost from $50-$150
- Drag and Drop Elementor premium is also expensive
- stats and wordads money down the drain from previous wordpress.com unless i pay premium jetpack.
- Self backup unless I pay premium plans
- Themes edit with frontpage modules are not simple
- Lose followers from wordpress.com
- Not as bumpless, as the website took 48 hours to jump through hurdles
- Plenty of time to be invested to self transfer without expensive professional service (up to £500 to $1000 for basic service)
- Took almost 5 days to trial different theme (hundreds to choose from) before commitment and buy premium level
- Huge selection of Plugins.
- Yoast SEO is Boss
- wpbeginner.com is the best teacher to learn everything about self hosting
- Siteground engineers and online chat is super responsive and amazing
- Flexibility with themes to maximise creativity.
- Choosing the various plugins before premium commitment
- Careful budget and better money savings with self hosting
- Google Adsense and choosing where to place adverts compared to jetpack WordAds
- Noticed more traffic flocking in to website without blog updates in last 5 days
- Faster and better optimisation
- Free Elementor is super easy to use for a personal company blog
- Siteground Migration from wordpress.com was included in the package
- MailChimp is now integrated and reduces my workflow
- I can host multiple website if i want to
- Free email domain name (email@example.com), cost savings!
Siteground Versus Bluehost
- Excellent customer service from Siteground.
- No waiting times with the engineers on siteground
- Domain transfer cost extra but it extends on the back of my existing contract (4 months +12 month)
- Free migration from Siteground including all medias and logos
- I can choose from one to three years to retain the initial offer cost at 75% off. So cost of three years is similar to a single year cost
Welcome back to MooMooCoo.com and hope to provide better free service to all my readers again!
Founder and CEO
DR Alex Koh